Monday, October 12, 2015

Building our community where ever we go

Yesterday while driving back from the MDSC Buddy Walk in Wakefield MA- I remembered my blog...and how long its been since I have posted ...what I was feeling while driving, wishing I would have recorded what I was thinking at that very moment. We moved to MA almost 1 year ago, we left a very close knit DS community in Cincinnati (one of the best in the country). We have been fortunate enough to move across the country- visit different states- become part of each and every DS community- no matter what state we were in. We started in RI where E-V was born, the funny thing is when E-V was born I had 0 connections in Rhode Island in the community. I was scared, it was all new and I didn't reach out as much as I could have or should have. After we moved I met a few local Rhode Islanders who have become lifelong friends as well, Steph- Em and many others. When we moved to Orange County CA, the DSAOC simply blew me away, amazing community, families driving for over an hour to make the monthly family support meetings. We became part of the DSAOC family, we joined a group of parents who were each assigned to two local hospitals . We would visit the social workers, make sure they had current DS info, intake fax forms etc. After two years we then moved to Texas, we were about 40 miles south of Dallas. The DS Guild of Dallas was very welcoming and felt like part of our family. I became part of the parent outreach program - for new parents who had questions or just wanted to talk with another family they would give them our contact information. After 1 year I was offered a job in Kentucky, we had never been to Kentucky. I reached out to a few local groups, DSAGC, I became connected to the "Eastside Moms Group" Tika Tollett & Missy Skavlem, as well as Martha from Early Matters and many other families. I still look back and am amazed at how much this group not only welcomed new comers but made me feel like I had known them forever. Tika went above and beyond trying to help us find a rental house, everyone in the group offered suggestions- looked in their neighborhoods. Martha from Early Matters called me, texted me- she welcomed us with open arms and so much support. We were very active with all of the wonderful opportunities that the DSAGC offered its local families- from Music Therapy, Moms night out, monthly play groups that gave our kids the chance to try so many different things.I have to say I really struggled leaving this community. They are friends who are now lifetime friends. Tika and I with our little troop went on so many memorable adventures together. They are women & families that I will stay connected to forever , visit when we can and we celebrate our kids achievements and cry together with their struggles. We share our IEP and inclusion idea's. This group of families holds a very special place in my heart. A M A Z I N G is one of the words I think of when I think of Cincinnati. Now its been almost 1 year and we are now in Walpole MA. I finally got to meet the beautiful miss Autumn and the McDonough family, Megan and I have been online friends for years. Its funny when you finally meet in person, I wasn't nervous it felt like I was driving to an old friends house. I have became now accustomed to where ever we go- we always have our DS family and MA has not been any different. Right after we moved here I got to meet a fellow Reece's Rainbow cheerleader & supporter Kathleen Dye. Meeting Kathy in person - I felt like we have known each other for our whole lives - another long lost sister? lol..Ava & E-V have regular play dates. Kathy has gone above and beyond trying to help us with every connection we have needed, she helped connect us to an awesome Advocate & friend: Laurel Collins(Laurel is an amazing mama, she even planned for E-V a secret birthday party in June). Kathy helped us get connected to Boston Ballet and she suggested we attend the Wakefield Buddy Walk/ MDSC. I drove to the Buddy Walk a little apprehensive, why? I hadn't planned on going (Im a planner) we hadn't registered, nor did we know anyone who was going. There is one thing about the DS community where ever you are - you are always welcomed. I felt the same way yesterday- we joined in the line of walkers- walked through the welcome line of cheerleaders/supporters with E-V high five-ing every one and her smile couldn't have been any bigger. I was very thankful. This is a safe place for us, a place where the only thing you see in everyones eyes is love for your child. I can't explain what the feeling is not having to worry about things that happen outside of our community- a place where everyone just smiles and says hi, asks E-V what her name is and how old she is, where does she go to school- you know the "typical" things parents are asked when they are out in a big group of peers & their families. When I attend these events, my soul gets refilled- my heart is brimming with love and admiration for every family that I saw yesterday. I am thankful for the people who reached out to us by walking up and introducing themselves to this mama and her little beauty. I wish you could feel what I felt in my heart yesterday- for a few short hours the only thing that existed was having fun, dancing, listening to Ayla sing, enjoying all of the kids playing, seeing some local dance parents, and watching E-V feel like a princess. For a few hours nothing else mattered..

No comments:

Post a Comment